Gecko Landmarks enables location based services to be relevant and interesting for the majority of the world population.
- Our landmark data is already used every day by millions as our customers offer landmark location as part of their service in most countries in Asia, Africa, Latin America and the Middle East
- Our current users represent only a small fraction of the potential as everybody is already using landmark based navigation and locations in their everyday lives
- We bring the landmark concept to location based services, making them relevant for everybody
Based on several recent market researches location based services are the single biggest opportunity in mobile apps. This is especially true in emerging markets. The main challenges of the traditional map based location services are:
- The availability of digital maps is limited to smartphones representing less than 1 billion of the installed base of over 6 billion phones
- Over 60% of the world population cannot read maps
- Data quality and quantity varies a lot and e.g. 40% of world land area with very limited geographic data
- Inaccuracy of data. Approx. 5% of data inaccurate in existing digital maps, more in emerging countries
- Digital map updating processes are slow
- Digital maps require plenty of memory and processing power
Gecko Landmarks has developed an approach overcoming all the above limitations. We offer text based location service in every country with high accuracy landmarks that are understood by everybody. Our landmarks cover every country in the world with high accuracy landmarks. In urban areas locally known landmarks are always near-by, approximately 200 meters apart and in rural areas more apart to ensure best possible location functionality. We update the landmarks of each country on average every six months and provide them with several local languages. Landmark data is being used in increasing amount of applications creating several location services with mass market appeal.